Known for their deep, dark red hue, these apples are an good heirloom variety for both eating and cooking. Red Delicious were started in 1880 in Iowa and are now a common type of apple found in supermarkets across the US. The Red Delicious reached the height of its popularity in the 1980s when over 75% of Washington State’s apple production was devoted to this one variety. Red Delicious are a favorite “school apple” and ripen in early to mid October.
- The first day of Summer. Apple growing season. Opening day of the farmstand is Tuesday July 9th 2 days ago
- This Saturday we will host a rare look into the barn at the Sweetser Farm. In the spirit of organizing and cleaning… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- I posted a new video to Facebook facebook.com/SweetsersApple… 2 weeks ago
- A day on the Farm. Nothing too crazy today. Apples growing. Oh, big barn sale next Saturday, June 16 2 weeks ago
- June 1st and 80 degrees. Just tight for growing Apples. Today’s photo features the Cortland variety. 3 weeks ago