RED ASTRACHAN is particularly known for making distinctive tasting pies. They are an early season apple, ripening in mid to late July into August. It is a Russian apple imported into England from Sweden in 1816, and was brought to America in 1835 and widely distributed. Medium in size and roundish-oblate in shape, the skin is a very pale-yellow and cream, marked with splashes and stripes of bright red. Sometimes the fruit is a solid-red. They are know for exploding or bursting their skin when they become over-ripe.
- The first day of Summer. Apple growing season. Opening day of the farmstand is Tuesday July 9th 2 days ago
- This Saturday we will host a rare look into the barn at the Sweetser Farm. In the spirit of organizing and cleaning… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- I posted a new video to Facebook facebook.com/SweetsersApple… 2 weeks ago
- A day on the Farm. Nothing too crazy today. Apples growing. Oh, big barn sale next Saturday, June 16 2 weeks ago
- June 1st and 80 degrees. Just tight for growing Apples. Today’s photo features the Cortland variety. 3 weeks ago