Golden Delicious are a very popular heirloom variety of apple known for their deep yellow or golden color and sweet taste. The first tree was discovered in West Virginia in 1891 by a young boy cutting grass who saved it and nurtured the tree. Golden Delicious are the official apple of West Virginia and are often used in desserts, salads and make excellent eating apples. Despite common misconceptions, they are not closely related to the Red Delicious variety…Other than the fact that they are both delicious! Fun Fact: In 2010, an Italian-led consortium announced they had decoded the complete genome of the Golden Delicious apple.It had the highest number of genes (57,000) of any plant genome studied to date.
- Summer solstice 2017 around the farm 6 days ago
- June is for growing new apples. The Duchess and Liberty get a red blush at an early stage. A beautiful crop shaping up this season 1 week ago
- June in the orchard. Apples growing, blueberries growing, grass growing and barn cleaned out for its first party... fb.me/1w1bRUCn3 2 weeks ago
- The apples are growing nicely with all of the rain. Now the sun will really make things pop. 50 varieties in the... fb.me/1kxEtOHDb 2 weeks ago
- Tonight's sunset. Beautiful. Lucky I was still outside working. 1 month ago