Golden Delicious are a very popular heirloom variety of apple known for their deep yellow or golden color and sweet taste. The first tree was discovered in West Virginia in 1891 by a young boy cutting grass who saved it and nurtured the tree. Golden Delicious are the official apple of West Virginia and are often used in desserts, salads and make excellent eating apples. Despite common misconceptions, they are not closely related to the Red Delicious variety…Other than the fact that they are both delicious! Fun Fact: In 2010, an Italian-led consortium announced they had decoded the complete genome of the Golden Delicious apple.It had the highest number of genes (57,000) of any plant genome studied to date.
- Apple growing season. The Red color of Liberty and the hint of red on the Duchess are signs of the season ahead. 2 weeks ago
- The first day of Summer. Apple growing season. Opening day of the farmstand is Tuesday July 9th 3 weeks ago
- This Saturday we will host a rare look into the barn at the Sweetser Farm. In the spirit of organizing and cleaning… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- I posted a new video to Facebook facebook.com/SweetsersApple… 1 month ago
- A day on the Farm. Nothing too crazy today. Apples growing. Oh, big barn sale next Saturday, June 16 1 month ago