Golden Delicious are a very popular heirloom variety of apple known for their deep yellow or golden color and sweet taste. The first tree was discovered in West Virginia in 1891 by a young boy cutting grass who saved it and nurtured the tree. Golden Delicious are the official apple of West Virginia and are often used in desserts, salads and make excellent eating apples. Despite common misconceptions, they are not closely related to the Red Delicious variety…Other than the fact that they are both delicious! Fun Fact: In 2010, an Italian-led consortium announced they had decoded the complete genome of the Golden Delicious apple.It had the highest number of genes (57,000) of any plant genome studied to date.
- February pruning continues. Looks like we will need snowshoes after the snowstorm this week. 1 month ago
- A winter day in January. Nice sights and perfect apple Tree pruning weather. 1 month ago
- fb.me/1Ju6dtJGF 2 months ago
- Still so many unique apples in the market. And fresh cider for Thanksgiving. Open daily 9-6, but we will be closed Thanksgiving Day 4 months ago
- fb.me/1ldiFcleP 4 months ago