Golden Delicious are a very popular heirloom variety of apple known for their deep yellow or golden color and sweet taste. The first tree was discovered in West Virginia in 1891 by a young boy cutting grass who saved it and nurtured the tree. Golden Delicious are the official apple of West Virginia and are often used in desserts, salads and make excellent eating apples. Despite common misconceptions, they are not closely related to the Red Delicious variety…Other than the fact that they are both delicious! Fun Fact: In 2010, an Italian-led consortium announced they had decoded the complete genome of the Golden Delicious apple.It had the highest number of genes (57,000) of any plant genome studied to date.
- Still so many unique apples in the market. And fresh cider for Thanksgiving. Open daily 9-6, but we will be closed Thanksgiving Day 4 weeks ago
- fb.me/1ldiFcleP 1 month ago
- Spooky Halloween Eve at the Apple Barrel. Widespread power outage adds to an eire evening with moon rising and... fb.me/6oyMl1DcX 1 month ago
- The Apple Barrel will be a sponsor of this season's kick off to winter sports. The annual Ski Season Launch Party... fb.me/90A3zCNVo 1 month ago
- Another sunny Saturday. More than 2 dozen types of apples in the market. Wow. Open daily 9 am - 6 pm. 1 month ago