Gala apples are the second most popular apple in the US (after Red Delicious). Gala apples are red with vertical stripes and have a thin skin. They are loved for their sweetness and firm, crisp texture. They were created in the 1930s when J.H. Kidd crossed a Golden Delicious and Kidd’s Orange Red in New Zealand. They ripen in Maine during mid September.
- The first day of Summer. Apple growing season. Opening day of the farmstand is Tuesday July 9th 2 days ago
- This Saturday we will host a rare look into the barn at the Sweetser Farm. In the spirit of organizing and cleaning… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- I posted a new video to Facebook facebook.com/SweetsersApple… 2 weeks ago
- A day on the Farm. Nothing too crazy today. Apples growing. Oh, big barn sale next Saturday, June 16 2 weeks ago
- June 1st and 80 degrees. Just tight for growing Apples. Today’s photo features the Cortland variety. 3 weeks ago