The Ben Davis apple was extremely popular in the 1800s for its reliable and hardy characteristics. We love the Ben Davis apples in pies and other desserts. They are similar to McIntosh and Cortland apples. It was widely grown across the Southern US in the 1800s and now is extremely rare. The origins of this apple are unknown but it is believed to have originated in the US South before the Civil War. In Maine this is a late season apple, ripening in mid October.
- Strawberries, fresh from Chipman Farm beginning Wednesday July 5. Open Wed-Sat. Noon until 6:00 pm. Veggies,... fb.me/318WbRGzt 3 weeks ago
- Opening Day. Wednesday July 5, 2017. Noon until 6:00 pm. Strawberries, Vegetables, and fresh bakery products. 3 weeks ago
- Opening day is Wednesday, July 5 at noon. The summer varieties are really gaining size. Red Astrachan, Zestsr!,... fb.me/8WmTuvbrf 3 weeks ago
- Summer solstice 2017 around the farm 1 month ago
- June is for growing new apples. The Duchess and Liberty get a red blush at an early stage. A beautiful crop shaping up this season 1 month ago