The Macoun is one of our favorite apples at Sweetser’s. They are a cross between the McIntosh and Jersey Black varieties. They have firm, crisp flesh and a delicious sweet taste. They are often pronounced “McCowan” and were developed at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva, New York, by R. Wellington. They are named after Canadian fruit grower W.T. Macoun, and were first introduced in 1923. Availability is generally October through November.
- February pruning continues. Looks like we will need snowshoes after the snowstorm this week. 2 months ago
- A winter day in January. Nice sights and perfect apple Tree pruning weather. 2 months ago
- fb.me/1Ju6dtJGF 3 months ago
- Still so many unique apples in the market. And fresh cider for Thanksgiving. Open daily 9-6, but we will be closed Thanksgiving Day 5 months ago
- fb.me/1ldiFcleP 5 months ago